Skip to main content

Heat Haze

As the country experiences an extended hot, dry period, I'm grateful for water, verandahs and air-conditioning.  Not so long ago our forebears were living in tents as they cleared land and constructed crude homes while maintaining a subsistence existence and battling the elements.  Here in the Adelaide Hills we are blessed in that a lot of those earlier foundations were based on scriptural and spiritual tenets.  How far has our society come in such a short time in terms of infrastructure and trade, yet how far have we moved away from that spiritual heritage.

Old split red gum at sunset (past the bottom dam)
What a privilege and blessing it is to be called to return to the ancient paths that were set down by Yehovah.  Our fathers Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, were obedient to the voice of Yehovah and set the example of what it is to be set apart, having their eyes fixed upon a time when their small family would become a mighty nation.  I wonder how many times they doubted, despaired, became tired and felt like choosing a different path, rather than pay the price for future generations?

I'll be honest, it's not all sunshine and lollypops up here at Hebron and there are times when doubt and frustration creep in.  Take last night for instance.  The dam pump wouldn't fire up for me and I had to ring for help.  I'm not too proud to say that I felt very frustrated and inadequate, and in that moment I sat down by the dam to have a self-indulgent whinge to myself.  The dialogue went something like this; "jolly rabbits are eating everything we plant, can't get any veges to grow, sand creeping in everywhere, bugs munch anything that's green, water is always an issue ..."  Mm, not the most uplifting conversation I've ever had with myself.  As always it's a choice in how I respond to those frustrations and it's times like these I'm so grateful for David and the other psalmists so I can then encourage myself with "Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me? Hope in YHVH, for I shall again praise Him for the help of His presence."  I love that this is Psalm 42 - fellow HTTNers will understand the significance of this.
Caper flower - YAY!
So while I have a whinge about vermin and first world problems such as dodgy internet connections and equally dodgy telephone connections I am constantly reminded of, and grateful for, that rich spiritual heritage we have and the example of Aussie forebears who knew how to leave the comforts of society behind to forge a new beginning for themselves.  http://www.southaustralianhistory.com.au/klemzig.htm

As far as an activity report is concerned I'm pleased to say that the capers are doing quite well, although I've had to bag them again as the rabbits also discovered they were doing well.  I picked up a bucket of pindone oats so I'll be baiting them over the next few weeks, which hopefully will make a big impact on their numbers. 

Our little doe friend returned last night for a drink, which was a lovely surprise, although it's a bit sad that she's alone and hasn't been able to find her mob again.  I know that deer are introduced vermin, like the rabbit, but nevertheless, it's lovely to see her when she visits.  I actually thought she had a fawn but the big ears in the grass belonged to an exceptionally large hare - cause for a bit of a chuckle to myself!

So fellow sojourners and pioneers, be blessed and may the shalom of Yehovah dispel any haze that you are experiencing from the 'heat' of life's cares.

Habbakuk 3:17-19 For though the fig-tree shall not flourish, Neither shall fruit be in the vines; The labor of the olive shall fail, And the fields shall yield no food; The flock shall be cut off from the fold, And there shall be no herd in the stalls:  Yet I will rejoice in Yehovah, I will joy in the Elohim of my salvation. Yehovah, Adoni, is my strength; And he makes my feet like hinds', And will make me to walk upon my high places.

Shalom

Comments

  1. Hey Annette, great photo of the split tree. Just as well you were down there having a whinge, hey? Thanks for your hoensty and vulnerability, it is encouraging to all as we all do the same thing from time to time - well I guess everyone esle does! I know I do and now I know you do, so everyone else probably does too. So thankful that our Father does not chastise us for these kinds of things, but rather listens silently to us and then reminds us of scripture, as you pointed out, to encourage us. Have a good week. Will see you on Shabbat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, so I'm not the only one to ever have experienced a moment of self-indulgent whining :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to contribute to the Hebron Herald.

Shalom

Popular posts from this blog

Moedim Preparations

Spring Festival Preparations For us in the southern hemisphere Yom Teruah, Yom Kippur and Sukkot falls in spring.  I might be biased but I think we're pretty blessed to have the new year begin when there's new life and blossom appearing.  On the other hand the weather and wind can be a unpredictable but hey, it keeps it real for Sukkot! This year there's the anticipation of celebrating Sukkot and all that it prophetically points to, but there is a longing to fellowship with our Father and bless Him, listen to Him and enjoy His family. Yakira and I have been excited with the very real expectation that for us there will be a freshness and new life so we have been busy making sure the fellowship home and gardens reflect this.   So we not only make physical preparations but we prepare our hearts.  Yom Teruah has been, Yom Kippur is upon us and Sukkot is before us.  Looking forward to seeing you all drive through our gates!

Misty Moments

 July 2023 I've had a long hiatus in updating the blog but after some prompting I thought I'd pop up a short video.  Yakira and I took some short clips of some of us and we'll do that regularly from now on.  Every month our fellowship meets at Hebron to worship, to honour Shabbat, to enjoy each other's company and to maintain and develop the property.  Those who can stay overnight so we can have more time to be together.  It may seem an odd concept for regular church goers but it's entirely natural for us and something we look forward to.   Eating together, hanging out, working and worshipping together all develops relationships, hones personalities and gives the Ruach time to refine and encourage us. This month was a delightful wintery, misty weekend.  We are at the end of the Mount Lofty ranges so when the cloud sits low it's like being in your own private little world.  Brendan and Neal worked on fixing the house water tank and John was relegated to the tract

Sukkot 2023 - The Winter is Past...

  The voice of my lover.  Behold, He is coming Leaping over the mountains, springing over the hills My lover is like a gazelle or a young buck among the stags Look!  He is standing behind our wall, gazing through the windows Peering through the lattice. In response my lover said to me, "Get yourself up, my darling my pretty one, and come.  Come! For behold, the winter is past, the rain is over, it's gone. Blossoms appear in the land and the time of singing has come...  Song of Songs 2 *   *   * What a blessed time we had over Sukkot here at Hebron.  A few weeks before the start of the festival I was impacted by the understanding that our Creator and Father anticipates meeting with His children more than we anticipate meeting with Him.  His love, His desire to meet with us individually and as a fellowship far surpasses ours, to a degree that it is impossible for us to comprehend.  And meet with Him we did. The moed are His.  His appointments with people who call on His Name, ob