Skip to main content

Cross Cultures

I'm writing this as I sit in a courtyard cafe run by Christ Church, listening to the Muslim call to prayer in a Jewish city.  I don't think I will ever experience again such a strange and oddly tensioned mix of faith cultures, each vying for control and supremacy.


We are leaving Jerusalem tomorrow to venture up north to the Caesaria and Galilee regions and while I'm looking forward to some respite from the noise and bustle of the city I will miss just being in the city that is so beloved by YHVH.

We have walked through the Muslim, Christian, Armenian and Jewish quarters of the Old City and I must say I enjoyed the Jewish quarter the most, probably for obvious reasons.  

Today Glenys and I visited the Tomb Garden and while I think the supposed sites for the crucifixion and burial are baloney it was interesting to view and the garden itself was quite lovely and restful.  


Notice the small machine on top of the wall in the city of the skyline?  Looked like an old rocket launcher to me....
We have meandered through the streets and souks, been accosted by numerous Arabs selling their wares and been at the mercy of crazy taxi drivers - so many stories to tell in such a short time!




This is a caper plant growing out of the Old City walls - with capers and a new flower!  Maybe we need more rocks in our caper paddock.... 
Typical tourist shot in front of the Damascus gate
Pray for mercy and protection for us all as we are hiring a car and Dad is driving us out of Jerusalem and up north.  In fact call a national day of prayer and fasting .... the traffic here is crazy!

Comments

  1. Hi Aunty Annette!! :) All the food there look YUMMY!! :D Did you pick the capers growing out of the wall? Waste not want not! ;) Miss you lots! Love, Yakira xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to contribute to the Hebron Herald.

Shalom

Popular posts from this blog

Where Your Treasure Is.....

Life has changed for our community and we are now split between two geographic locations - Salem and Mildura - with a few of us coming and going between them.   When the scripture says we are an 'unusual people', that certainly has an added layer for our community!      We are full of anticipation of what YHVH will pour out for the people of Australia, particularly the towns along the Murray River and Victoria.     But coming home to Hebron is always so good for the soul. Open skies - Open spaces   So lovely to see water in the top dam, grass emerging and  paddocks been sown for this year's hay crop.     I have been reflecting more on the truth and freedom of Yeshua's command:   Do not lay up for yourselves treasures upon earth,  where moth and rust destroy,  and where thieves break in and steal.   But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven,  where neither moth nor rust destroys,  and whe...

Practical Deeds .... Spiritual Dividends

The practical outworkings of our worship and obedience may look different from one individual to another, one family to another or one fellowship to another.  Here at Hebron it's a matter of looking after the land, stock, home and infrastructure to ensure that things are ticking along as they should in a timely manner; creating a refuge and oasis, now and for the future.  This week the flock were treated to some mineral blocks, which will provide necessary salts and minerals that they need to remain in tip top shape while they're lambing in the summer months.  The smaller top dam is well and truly dry but this would be the perfect time to get the tractor in there and dig it deeper, which would also have the bonus of providing good dirt for the vegie patch.  This dam is not spring fed so having it deeper would provide more water for next summer, provided it fills during the winter months. The vegie patch, or as I prefer to call it at times, the battlefie...

Sukkot 2025

When the sun set on the 8th day of Sukkot there was much to be grateful for.  It was a week of joy and laughter, and serious reflection.  I sit here trying to put into a succinct paragraph all that transpired but suffice to say, the Creator of the heavens and the earth, our Abba, met with us, encouraged and refined us. We were joined by a brother and sister from Western Australia - family in the Messiah that we just hadn't met yet.  We look forward to meeting many more of Yeshua's community in the years to come!   We love to praise - I mean we really love to sing and shout His praises.  We do our best to do as David instructs and maybe we're not as skilful or harmonious, but we certainly are joyful!  The praise and teaching times were recorded to YouTube if you want a refresher.  Like I said, we might not be polished in sound or technique, but we are uncompromising in our devotion to Him and His Word. Sukkot Worship & Teaching    YHV...