Skip to main content

Covenantal Community

This blog has been moth-balled for a while but I've shaken out the dust and will now periodically post updates, photos or pass comment on something that takes my interest.  You know how I love to wax lyrical on occasion.

It's been a very busy few months with people coming and going and the preparation and celebration of Yehovah's feasts.  We always have a plethora of projects and jobs that we have on our to-do list but Hebron ticks along nicely now.  However, being content with the now and the not yet is easier for me, or maybe I'm just a bit older and busier.

Over the years Hebron's purpose hasn't really changed all that much; we are still very much focused on the community that is being developed and to a lesser extent, the ability for Hebron to be self-sufficient.  Having said that our flock is now to a size where the property can happily sustain it and they are healthy and well-bred.  The vege garden could always do with some extra time and lovin' but the basic infrastructure is there and has the ability to produce ... as the chooks can attest to! (I hope they enjoyed the greens that I was looking forward to...)

The arrival of the first of this season's lambs reminded me to keep a better calendar!  This little ram lamb was left behind and needed some help reuniting with Mum.  He is a fine example of a meat-master.  We have two white Dorper rams to go over our Damara ewes and we're anticipating a good drop this season.  We may switch over to a pure Dorper flock but after spending the last 7 years breeding these ewes the benefits of a strong Damara in our variable country have been proven.
We bought another young alpaca from Jolyon and Kerry Porter and he has teamed up with Don Pedro beautifully.  He's a fine looking animal and if he develops as well as his new mate he will be a great asset during lambing.  He needs a name so put your thinking caps on and we'll choose one next Hebron weekend.  It has been suggested that he be called after one of the dark prophets due to his colouring, although to my way of thinking the judgements of Yehovah may have been dark and troubling but it was His mercy and kindness that was calling for repentance and teshuva.  Maybe we should call him Teshuva?
Community is such an oft-touted word that at times it loses its importance and meaning.  Online community, school community, religious community, neighbourhood community - we've heard them all.  But as John was sharing at Shabbat, this in no way describes Yehovah's community.  When we are immersed into His name we enter His kingdom, His covenant, His community.  Is this community with Him and me alone?  Is His kingdom a singular one for me alone? Do I get my own postcode?

I make light of it but this Christian way of thinking, that it's about my relationship with the Messiah, limits our understanding and application of torah, and the ability of Yehovah to work in our lives and fellowship.  I distinctly remember an incident about 15 years ago when I was driving and thinking about the way that we as a fellowship, and myself personally, was being led along this journey.  I was struck by the thought that perhaps I was loved by those in our fellowship.  Now this might seem obvious or trite, but in fact that thought or revelation blind-sided me and I had to pull over because of the tears.

I always say I was born a Christian.  I was privileged to see faithfulness, hear prayers and experience the goodness of God all through my life.   I knew what it was to be a servant to Yehovah and people.  I knew what it was to sacrifice.  I knew what it was to experience a deep desire to know Him and worship Him from my early childhood.  What I didn't know or even begin to appreciate was my place within fellowship and my impact on those I fellowship with.

Sure, I can facilitate worship, I can give my blood, sweat and tears and to a degree I understand that this is appreciated.  However, what I had a glimpse of in that moment in my car shook me.  Maybe I was loved.  Maybe I was missed when I couldn't be with them.  Just maybe my mere presence and being was enough, not the gifts, talents or anything else I might bring with me.
Marking out our new entrance
Yes, I get hurt and offended at times.  Yes, sometimes I'm the one to cause hurt and offense.  Sometimes my beliefs and values are challenged.  Sometimes the process of adjustment is irksome and my pride rises up.  However, the scripture is very clear that it is by this very process that we are refined, fitted-in like living stones, equipped and matured.  His kingdom and His covenant is a relational one.  When our Father leads us to a like-minded fellowship and in our heart we sense His hand of guidance, then the covenant I have with Him I also have with my brothers and sisters in Messiah.  So you're stuck with me; I'm not going anywhere.
Prov 3:  My son, do not forget my teaching,
         But let your heart keep my commandments;
For length of days and years of life
         And peace they will add to you.
Do not let kindness and truth leave you;
         Bind them around your neck,
         Write them on the tablet of your heart.
So you will find favor and good repute
         In the sight of God and man. 

 Hebron has facilitated much of this process over the years.  This property provides an opportunity to not only come together to celebrate His moedim but also provide refuge and succor.  By His Spirit may this continue amongst us, in us and through us, bringing honour to His name and delight to His heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moedim Preparations

Spring Festival Preparations For us in the southern hemisphere Yom Teruah, Yom Kippur and Sukkot falls in spring.  I might be biased but I think we're pretty blessed to have the new year begin when there's new life and blossom appearing.  On the other hand the weather and wind can be a unpredictable but hey, it keeps it real for Sukkot! This year there's the anticipation of celebrating Sukkot and all that it prophetically points to, but there is a longing to fellowship with our Father and bless Him, listen to Him and enjoy His family. Yakira and I have been excited with the very real expectation that for us there will be a freshness and new life so we have been busy making sure the fellowship home and gardens reflect this.   So we not only make physical preparations but we prepare our hearts.  Yom Teruah has been, Yom Kippur is upon us and Sukkot is before us.  Looking forward to seeing you all drive through our gates!

Misty Moments

 July 2023 I've had a long hiatus in updating the blog but after some prompting I thought I'd pop up a short video.  Yakira and I took some short clips of some of us and we'll do that regularly from now on.  Every month our fellowship meets at Hebron to worship, to honour Shabbat, to enjoy each other's company and to maintain and develop the property.  Those who can stay overnight so we can have more time to be together.  It may seem an odd concept for regular church goers but it's entirely natural for us and something we look forward to.   Eating together, hanging out, working and worshipping together all develops relationships, hones personalities and gives the Ruach time to refine and encourage us. This month was a delightful wintery, misty weekend.  We are at the end of the Mount Lofty ranges so when the cloud sits low it's like being in your own private little world.  Brendan and Neal worked on fixing the house water tank and John was relegated to the tract

Sukkot 2023 - The Winter is Past...

  The voice of my lover.  Behold, He is coming Leaping over the mountains, springing over the hills My lover is like a gazelle or a young buck among the stags Look!  He is standing behind our wall, gazing through the windows Peering through the lattice. In response my lover said to me, "Get yourself up, my darling my pretty one, and come.  Come! For behold, the winter is past, the rain is over, it's gone. Blossoms appear in the land and the time of singing has come...  Song of Songs 2 *   *   * What a blessed time we had over Sukkot here at Hebron.  A few weeks before the start of the festival I was impacted by the understanding that our Creator and Father anticipates meeting with His children more than we anticipate meeting with Him.  His love, His desire to meet with us individually and as a fellowship far surpasses ours, to a degree that it is impossible for us to comprehend.  And meet with Him we did. The moed are His.  His appointments with people who call on His Name, ob